Business Writing Skills
Course is designed to create an interactive experiential learning environment. The training methodologies consists of individual and syndicate activities, group discussion, interactive games on email writing tips, case- base group discussion, email writing exercises, paired discussions, self-analysis questionnaires, action planning etc.
- To help assimilate the tools and techniques learned, there is a mixture of individual and group exercises throughout the training.
- Whole batch and small team discussions, along with a case study and role play help reinforce concepts learned.
- Individual and Syndicate Activities
- Writing Exercises
- Paired Discussions Exercise
- Icebreakers – to let participants open to each other
- Energizers – Connected to the main topics / sub topics
- Group Discussion
- Interactive Games
- Case Studies
- Participants Presentations
- Experiential Learning Games
- Audio Video-Based Discussion
- Action Planning
Rules of Effective Writing
- Understanding your reader’s needs, writing to answer the reader’s question, “What is in it for me?”, Understanding the objective and Organizing your thoughts
- Understanding Inductive vs. Deductive approach in writing
- Translate ideas and thoughts into structured written communication – Apply Minto Pyramid Principle for structuring communication (from the book ‘The Minto Pyramid Principle: Logic in Writing, Thinking and Problem Solving’ by Barbara Minto)
- Building your key message, organizing the introduction, body and ending, structuring ideas, refining the flow from the top down and drawing impeccable conclusions
- Understand and follow the steps for planning, drafting and revising business documents
- Learn to apply proof reading skills to correct mistakes – Common errors in written communication and how to avoid them – spelling errors, grammatical errors, subject verb agreement, sentence fragments, run-on sentences, homophone, dangling modifiers, excess verbiage etc.
Know the ABC of writing
- A – Accuracy, B – Brevity and C – Clarity
- Learn the 6 C’s of effective writing (clear, concise, correct, coherent, complete and courteous)
- Using Paragraphs and Lists – Structuring and sequencing paragraphs using bulleted and numbered lists
- To enable participants write confidently and clearly by using all punctuation marks effectively
- Know the importance of tone in writing, choosing the right tone
- Structure, Rules for organizing content in a clear and concise manner, Effectively summarising ideas
- Presenting information differently – text, graphs, tables, diagrams etc. Use of visual aids to support text
- Preparing an Action Plan – Preparing yourself to write more effectively – how will you write more effectively and create greater impact in the future.